Virtual: September 17 – 20, 2021
The Hammerhead - Time Trial and Recover x 4. Yes, 4 individual time trials each followed by a recovery ride at your own pace.
Being virtual, cyclists will start at any time, keep their own time, provide their own hydration and nutrition and report their times with screens shots of their computers for each racing section. They will have the choice to ride on Friday, Saturday, Sunday or Monday (September 17 - September 20).
Race Details: The 4 parts are 4 hills! Participants have the choice of riding all four hills or only one hill. But, must be completed on the same day.
The full ride from start to finish and return to start will be 41 miles with only about 17 miles of racing and total vertical gain of 4400 feet with 3800 feet of vertical gain during the 4 racing sections - Hence the name "HAMMERHEAD".
Where will this take place? Keauhou and Captain Cook Areas
White Duck Tape Line = Start Line
Yellow Duck Tape Line = Finish Line
Orange Duck Tape Lines = Turns on Course
- Hill #2 - O Hanaunau
- Start Kahauloa Rd & Puuhonua Rd (Hwy 160) to old Honaunau Post Office
- Cat 2, Avg Grade 4.5%, 970 vertical gain, 7.3 miles
- U Turn and return to Napoopoo Pier
- Photo #1: Start (White Duck Tape) - BEGIN SPEED LIMIT 20 sign.
- Photo #2: Finish (Yellow Duck Tape) - KAILUA. 19 and VOLCANO 75 sign.
- Hill #3 - Napoopoo Rd.
- Start Napoopoo Rd. from 7 mile marker to 11 mile marker
- Cat 2, Avg Grade 5.7%, 1208 vertical gain, 4 miles
- Go to Alii By Pass and ride back to Alii Dr and La a Loa
- Restrooms and water at Kahaluu Beach
- Photo #1: Start Line (White Duck Tape) - 7 mile maker.
- Photo #2: Left Turn (Pink Duck Tape) - Three way stop. Watch for vehicles.
- Photo #3: Finish Line (Yellow Duck Tape ) - 11 mile marker use to be here. Yellow tape on pole and road shoulder.
- Hill #4 - La A Loa to and Climb Hookaana St.
- Start La a Loa & Naniloa St, right turn on Kapukapu St., left turn on Hookaana St. to top of hill
- Cat 4 (only because it is so short), Avg Grade 7.2% (with last 1/4 mile mostly at 18%), 406 vertical gain, 1 mile
- Photo #1: Start Line (White Duck Tape) - On La a Loa adjacent to tall utility pole.
- Photo #2: Right Turn (Orange Duck Tape) - On to Kapukapu St.
- Photo #3: Left Turn (Orange Duck Tape) - On to Hookaana St. Climb Hookaana St. to Finish Line.
This IS NOT the DRAGON finishing hill!
Hookaana St. is the Southern most street off of La a Loa.
- Photo #4: Finish Line (Yellow Duck Tape) - On shoulder at the yellow fire hydrant.